Current:Home > InvestSafeX Pro:Dakota Access Pipeline: Army Corps Is Ordered to Comply With Trump’s Order -Capitatum
SafeX Pro:Dakota Access Pipeline: Army Corps Is Ordered to Comply With Trump’s Order
Charles Langston View
Date:2025-04-06 22:03:08
The SafeX Proacting secretary of the Army instructed the Army Corps of Engineers Wednesday to fully comply with a memorandum issued by President Trump that called for expediting the review and approval of the Dakota Access oil pipeline.
The directive did not, however, despite reports to the contrary, grant a final permit, or easement, for the portion of pipeline that would run near the Standing Rock Sioux Tribe reservation. That spot became a hotbed of protest last year when thousands of Native Americans and others, who call themselves water protectors, set up camp there.
In the final weeks of the Obama administration, the Army Corps announced it would not allow the pipeline to be drilled under the Missouri River a half-mile upstream of Standing Rock. Instead, it said it would conduct an environmental impact statement, a thorough review that could take a year or more to complete and would consider alternate routes for that crossing.
The review has begun, but it’s now unclear whether the environmental impact statement will continue.
Trump’s memorandum, issued Jan. 24, ordered the Army Corps to “review and approve in an expedited manner” any easements for the Dakota Access. It ordered the agency to consider rescinding the environmental impact statement.
The tribe says it will sue to ensure that process goes ahead as ordered, but it is unclear what, if any, legal leverage the tribe would have if the Army Corp abandons the review.
“The Standing Rock Sioux Tribe will vigorously pursue legal action to ensure the environmental impact statement order issued late last year is followed so the pipeline process is legal, fair and accurate,” the tribe said in a statement. “To abandon the EIS would amount to a wholly unexplained and arbitrary change based on the President’s personal views and, potentially, personal investments.”
Trump owned stock in Energy Transfer Partners, the company building the pipeline. A spokesperson for the president has said he sold it all last summer.
The 1,200-mile pipeline would run from the Bakken oil fields of North Dakota to Illinois and is more than 90 percent complete. The Missouri River crossing is the final easement needed to finish the pipeline.
A statement issued by Rep. Kevin Cramer (R-N.D.) on Tuesday stated incorrectly that the Department of Defense was granting the final easement, setting off a wave of confusion and concern among pipeline opponents. “I have received word the Department of Defense is granting the easement for the Dakota Access Pipeline and Congressional notification is imminent,” Cramer said. The Army Corps of Engineers is part of the Department of Defense.
A notice filed Wednesday in federal court on behalf of the Army Corps said the easement has not been granted.
“Issuance of the January 31st Memorandum does not mean that a final decision on the application for an easement to construct the Dakota Access pipeline under Corps-managed Federal land at Lake Oahe has been made,” the filing said. “The Army will make any decisions once a full review and analysis is completed in accordance with the Presidential Memorandum.”
Cramer did not respond to a request for clarification.
Sens. Maria Cantwell (D-Wash.), Jon Tester (D-Mont.) and Tom Udall (D-N.M.) sent a letter to the Trump Administration on Wednesday objecting to the presidential memorandum.
“By ‘expediting’ this process and proceeding without appropriate consultation, the United States would be turning its back on its most solemn trust responsibility to the Tribe,” the senators wrote.
Jan Hasselman, an attorney with environmental law firm EarthJustice who is representing the tribe, said he would fight any easement granted before the environmental assessment is completed.
“We continue to make our case that the easement can’t be issued without the EIS process and, if the Army Corps issues the easement anyways, then we take it to federal court,” he said.
Protesters set up a new camp on Wednesday, which law enforcement officials say is on private property and 76 people were arrested. Those arrested, which included former Congressional candidate and Standing Rock Sioux tribe member Chase Iron Eyes, bring the total number of arrests to nearly 700 since demonstrations first escalated last summer.
The Standing Rock tribe is planning a march on Washington on March 10.
veryGood! (534)
Related
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- How To Score the Viral Quilted Carryall Bag for Just $18
- Judge says New York can’t use ‘antiquated, unconstitutional’ law to block migrant buses from Texas
- Monkeys that escaped a lab have been subjects of human research since the 1800s
- Paris Olympics live updates: Quincy Hall wins 400m thriller; USA women's hoops in action
- How Ariana Grande Channeled Wizard of Oz's Dorothy at Wicked's Los Angeles Premiere
- How many points did Cooper Flagg score tonight? Freshman gets double-double despite cramps
- Ella Emhoff Slams Rumors She's Been Hospitalized For a Mental Breakdown
- Google unveils a quantum chip. Could it help unlock the universe's deepest secrets?
- NFL Week 10 bold predictions: Which players, teams will turn heads?
Ranking
- Drones warned New York City residents about storm flooding. The Spanish translation was no bueno
- Colorado, Deion Sanders control their own destiny after win over Texas Tech: Highlights
- Despite Likely Setback for Climate Action With This Year’s Election, New Climate Champions Set to Enter Congress
- Nicole Scherzinger Apologizes for Hurt Caused by Controversial Instagram Comment
- Plunge Into These Olympic Artistic Swimmers’ Hair and Makeup Secrets
- Levi Strauss heir Daniel Lurie pledges to make San Francisco safer as mayor
- Gunman who wounded a man before fleeing into the subway is arrested, New York City police say
- Zoë Kravitz Joins Taylor Swift for Stylish NYC Dinner After Channing Tatum Split
Recommendation
In ‘Nickel Boys,’ striving for a new way to see
'I hope nobody got killed': Watch as boat flies through air at dock in Key Largo, Florida
North Carolina governor picks labor chief to serve until next commissioner is sworn in
Cynthia Erivo Proves She Can Defy Gravity at the Wicked Premiere
Connie Chiume, South African 'Black Panther' actress, dies at 72
Michigan jury awards millions to a woman fired after refusing to get a COVID-19 vaccine
Bhad Bhabie's Mom Claps Back on Disgusting Claim She's Faking Cancer
Community grieves 10-year-old student hit and killed by school bus in Missouri